- The first signs generally come in the form of a flaky skin or scalp. It can occur anywhere on the face or the body, but is generally seen to occur along the creases and folds of the skin in and around the face. Flakes may be white, red, gray or yellowish in color.
- In common cases there is a reddish inflammation, abnormal skin pigmentation or appearance over a small area.
- In severe cases reddish or yellowish pimples appear all over the face including the hairline, ear canal and along the lining of the nose.
- For infants it is a thick yellowish crest all over the scalp. However, these do not itch, and so there are lesser chances of the affected area being aggravated further.
Period of Stay:
For Adults Seborrheic dermatitis may last from anywhere between a few weeks and a few years depending on the severity of affection. Mild cases can be taken cure of with the help of seborrheic dermatitis natural treatment, however; more serious cases should be attended to by a doctor with immediate effect.
The exact causes are not known, but it can be inferred that Seborrheic dermatitis results mainly from a weak immunity system, lack of a balanced diet and not maintaining proper personal hygiene.
- Fungal: Though not proven, Seborrheic dermatitis can occur due to the rapid multiplication of the yeast Malassezia, over the affected area. The yeast produces toxins which cause irritation and skin inflammation. People having Seborrheic dermatitis show a reduced defense mechanism towards this yeast.
- Others: Hormonal, Genetic, environmental and stress factors may also result in the manifestation of Seborrheic dermatitis. It can also be aggravated by illness, age and seasonal changes.
A must for preventing Seborrheic dermatitis is to have a clean scalp. Maintaining good proper hygiene and regular use of medicated Shampoo go a long way in prevention. Exposure to UV rays also helps in curbing the growth of fungi causing Seborrheic dermatitis.
- Antifungal Shampoos: Most common and an effective way of cure, there are many options to choose from. Choosing the right shampoo with a near neutral pH value and the one which acclimatizes to your skin readily is very important.
- Topical corticosteroids, antifungals, and keratolytic are medications available to treat the disease. However, seborrheic dermatitis natural treatmentwith a mixture containing any of honey, coconut oil, apple cider, baking soda, and water are equally effective. These offer a great alternative to cure Seborrheic dermatitis and are very cost effective and safe to use.
- Coal tar is another effective tool to treat the disease but it comes along with an unwanted risk of being affected by cancer. However, patients using specially medicated shampoo containing coal tar have been found to be not affected so much by the cancer threat and are in use.
- Phototherapy: Some physicians recommend photodynamic therapy using UV-A and UV-B lasers with the help of red or blue LED emitting light to control the growth of the Malassezia fungus and are found to be highly effective.
A point to be considered, please don’t consider external treatment unless the case is very severe or you’ve exhausted all possible methods to cure it naturally. Using natural products is the best as it comes with no side effects and is very effective.